My mean green hornet

corazon

Well-Known Member
Had some other jobs to get done yesterday but back on it for a bit today, full day planned for tomorrow.

I made the all important seat mount pressing to get the right height back and to match the other side.

AD416008-55CD-4CE2-BFD4-6DE200B86400.jpeg 88D6F951-2B9A-4172-8E14-9FCE099D1B62.jpeg 8E93DBAB-EF97-4890-A931-E4A11C7BC486.jpeg
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
A bead rolled curved test panel, part of the strengthening plan for the wider rear arches/wings.
A2BEE72B-AEB6-48C9-827A-5748B52311FB.jpeg

After a lot of careful measurements I made a start on cutting out some of the rotten bulkhead around the bellcrank mounts.
I plan to fully double skin this instead of just replicating the small individual mounting hole plates.

E4BDDC54-1F11-42CD-A210-7F621B3B06E0.jpeg 223C97F3-4AB0-43C2-A329-213CBE87B32B.jpeg 7B4D1563-9A60-4739-A526-98BB854BD6D5.jpeg
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Nothing big to show for the last day or so I’m afraid, hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.

I did get some little annoying bits done though like cleaning up the inside of that boxed in section behind bellcrank mount location, and painting with epoxy. The yellow factory coating had done very well for nearly 50 years, protecting those inner surfaces, just a few areas starting to suffer nearer the spot welded flange

1EB704E4-4D1D-4325-BC2C-6F1F3DF0CB09.jpeg

I also did a quick mockup of pulling the rear wings out. They’ll ultimately sit at least 100mm further out than stock, with the new arches blended in, and fill panels fabricated to stretch between factory wing and boot lid.
I may even add a rear duct in the front of the arch if I can find a acceptable way to route air to the rear brakes.

2974E289-0F63-49CF-AED2-4F19663DD45A.jpeg 02290C75-FC21-4E7E-8D2D-7D275E0AD97B.jpeg DE59CF3C-4937-445A-940C-22C3AA70E800.jpeg
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Couldn’t resist making some preliminary cuts in my good spare wing. Just had to see the new arch mocked up properly, with the added width.

837F24A2-5649-44E6-8C1D-90BFC967FA92.jpeg D6163300-9259-46E1-ACFB-D70ACEE7E77D.jpeg
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
That's going to be wild! I wish I could see what it is going to look like in your mind. Have you got any sketches?
I made some sketches years ago but it’s evolved so much since then.
It’s definitely got a pro touring fastback mustang flavour to the rear quarters now, especially coupled with the rounded sloping roofline. Almost Porsche like too in that respect with the wide rear and air duct..
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
I got a wave of anxiety about the growing surface rust and had to blast a loose panel to check everything wasn’t getting too bad.
Thankfully, even with the many time recycled worn out media I had left, it cleaned up with ease.
Painted in epoxy and put back on the shelf a relaxed manner :p

1DDFDCA3-7F6F-4624-86C7-B9CD59F17ECC.jpeg 0E1DDD14-ED70-4F4D-85B0-2520C5E342B9.jpeg 5A3120EA-D03C-4720-9AB9-AE8BF26B59D0.jpeg

More removal of poor quality historic work, the rear wheel wells were done by a pro bodyshop at some stage according to paperwork. I’m guessing there wasn’t enough money in the job at the time..

65F1F761-B1EE-42F6-87E5-BB33A17266E3.jpeg 19020F29-AAB7-4569-B1A4-3FCDBA3B56A3.jpeg
 
Fairly close yeah, outer sills going on imminently, these rear areas both sides, got to make some front inner wing hockey sticks and fit the new headlamp splash panels. A lot of which shouldn’t take long at all once I’m in the flow.
After that it’s the fun stuff like rear tub and wing extensions, flush mounted screen metalwork and any other strengthening mods I choose to make
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
This afternoon I drilled out the D post spot welds and released the outer and middle strengthening panels, along with opening up the rest of the offending area for new steel.

These are really the last of the unknown boxed in parts of the car so it’s nice to get them open and spray some epoxy in there. Again the factory yellow still looking pretty good for the most part, but some localised areas of rust and bits of rusty old steel left covered by previous repairs which I would never have known about.


AD6FE9FB-9B74-4181-AF01-D8C743FDDB97.jpeg 25FF9466-1644-40C8-8EEB-54113AF97912.jpeg 7B1B361D-F64F-46BD-B237-1FA78463456E.jpeg
 
Top