Having a good workshop cleanup day so not sure how much I’ll get done today but the forged rod end blanks have arrived for my suspension arms.
These will receive a taper to suit and get welded inside the tubing. They’re 1” shank x 6” long.
Well I’ve been super busy with other projects, so sadly, as always Rover takes a back seat.
I did make an impulse buy this week after seeing a set of Porsche 996 Alcantara seats going super cheap locally.
I’d not thought of using them before but the design and dimensions are very good for the build. They’re a lot more bucket like than the Rover items and have the all important neck and head support.
They also don’t look too modern, but have electric tilt
Here’s one just sitting on the sill, I’ve still got bracing inside the car so it can’t sit down in location just yet.
If I do indeed use them I’ll get the rear seats trimmed to match I think
I can’t believe it was July I last updated, I’ve been non stop on a paying project, for which needs must..
Well today I started working on the shell again, repairing the other side chassis rail in prep for the sill going on.
Ive also had some sheetmetal bent to the profile to match the inner and outer sill tops together. That way it’s all fresh metal.
Nice to have some time on the shrinker stretcher, one of those super satisfying tools that doesn’t get used as frequently as other, inferior tools lol
After getting those two panels flushed in, the inside got treated to some nice coats of epoxy.
Lol, and thanks, it took some patience to get that one right earlier. First time I’ve tried to curve a double flanged S profile, one edge needs stretching while the other shrinking in the same amounts and areas to keep it square and true.
Got the other inner sill on this morning, the compound curves remaining will be formed with the help of a little heat as soon as I pick up a bottle of oxygen.
Looking more like a car again and feeling a lot more solid.
I’m going to give the shell another pre paint light blasting when all welding is complete to tackle the inevitable surface rust that’s formed since blasting last August, tbh it hasn’t faired too badly considering!
I got the other panel made and mostly welded in this afternoon, was a trickier one to get right.
I started by forming the main floorpan curved profile with the shrinker stretcher on a piece with two 10mm flanges
After getting the right profile I cut off the flanges. Then to form the compound curves which transition to the sill I worked it with a few different dollies.
I’ll finish this whole side up tomorrow, welding both sides, dressing down and dollying.
Then I can spray the areas that will be boxed in with epoxy and whack the outer sills on