Members ages

#61
DKress said:
Almost 76 (11/24/1938) considered buying one in 1968 but no Rover dealers any where near me so bought a BMW 2002 instead. Finally got my first one, a 2000TC 1 1/2 year ago. Better late than never.
Exquisite taste in motor cars, sir.

Out of interest, can you remember what the price difference between the Rover and the BMW would have been at the time?
 

GRTV8

Well-Known Member
#62
ethelred said:
DKress said:
Almost 76 (11/24/1938) considered buying one in 1968 but no Rover dealers any where near me so bought a BMW 2002 instead. Finally got my first one, a 2000TC 1 1/2 year ago. Better late than never.
Exquisite taste in motor cars, sir.

Out of interest, can you remember what the price difference between the Rover and the BMW would have been at the time?
Pretty much the same in OZ at the time . I know coz I was doing a comparison before buying mine . The Rover scored high on all points , so no brainer .
The 2002 was BMW's last gasp chance before shutting up shop . It sold well [ not in OZ ]. Now look at BMW .
The import duty on Brit cars was lower than Euro cars so a bit unfair insofar as price . And the Rover produced a better product in the 70's.
All imported cars struggled against the local lads - Falcon , Holden and Valiant .
Gerald
 
#69
When I first joined, I was the youngest (14 with one, then two p6's), but in that time I've grown older and new younger members have joined. There is at least one other person than Joseph who's slightly younger than me, on this forum. I think Mr Wilson at 14 is the winner :)


...I ought to do some project threads...
 
#70
I desperately want next Friday to come around so I can start a project thread. Though, tbh, I'm more excited about getting the Rover than doing a project thread. Got my priorities straight in that sense, ahahaha.
 
#71
Certainly a wide range of ages, I thought that there would have been more 50+ than there is with the age of the cars etc but quite a few younger generations as well, can only be a good thing to keep the interest in the clubs and model.

Pete
 

Phil Robson

Well-Known Member
#72
D16PJM said:
....but quite a few younger generations as well, can only be a good thing to keep the interest in the clubs and model.

Pete
I would think that many of us experience 'yoofs' commenting on or cars (in a positive way :D ); I've had "give it some revs, mate" & "that's a V8 isn't it" amongst others. It's great to see that these cars are often seen as cool by the younger generation & not an 'old man's car'!

Several of my son's friends (he's coming up 16) think his dad (me 8)) is cool because of his car! At least that's one thing I've got right.... :lol:
 
#73
Phil Robson said:
D16PJM said:
....but quite a few younger generations as well, can only be a good thing to keep the interest in the clubs and model.

Pete
I would think that many of us experience 'yoofs' commenting on or cars (in a positive way :D ); I've had "give it some revs, mate" & "that's a V8 isn't it" amongst others. It's great to see that these cars are often seen as cool by the younger generation & not an 'old man's car'!

Several of my son's friends (he's coming up 16) think his dad (me 8)) is cool because of his car! At least that's one thing I've got right.... :lol:
Half the reason I'm getting it is for the V8. Youths like the loud and powerful engine sounds, but can't always afford the actual engines or insurance, hence the huge exhausts to get the noise.

Sure, it's not the same as a V8, but it sounds better than a |4. :p
 

1396midget

Well-Known Member
#74
I had a standing ovation from some yoofs outside a pub as I stamped on the V8 throttle in the wet, it changed itself into second before I started to perceptively move forwards. Excellent stuff.
 
#75
Most of the kids in my area all buy Seat Ibizas, Peugeot 106's, Citreon Saxo's, Ford Fiesta's, etc. and just modify them. They put "fart cans" on the back, lower them, give them stupid lights and drive them like they stole them. I want to break the mould, as I currently own a Peugeot 106, by driving a classic V8.

Getting a standing ovation sounds amazing though. Nice one. :p
 
#76
When i got told that i now owned my late grandfathers car I would have beaten the youngest member at the age of 11/12 (it was a long time ago so cant remember exactly!)


I'm now 32 so nowhere near the youngest but probably non the wiser! :mrgreen:
 
#79
ethelred said:
DKress said:
Almost 76 (11/24/1938) considered buying one in 1968 but no Rover dealers any where near me so bought a BMW 2002 instead. Finally got my first one, a 2000TC 1 1/2 year ago. Better late than never.
Exquisite taste in motor cars, sir.

Out of interest, can you remember what the price difference between the Rover and the BMW would have been at the time?
The Bmw was$3600. The Rover was low $
4000.'s. Traded a 356 Porsche roadster for which I got $2000.
 
Top