Rover p6b restoration

stue1972

Active Member
I didn't remove the front wing stiffeners as Arthuy suggests, and about five years on from a respray the paint on my wings began to bubble in that spot. During the first period of enforced leisure the other year I started poking idly with a screwdriver, and soon revealed a hole in the metal about the size of a fifty pence coin where the trapped gunk behind the stiffener had caused corrosion. A cautionary tale. I was very disappointed to say the least. Probably worth going the extra mile, I reckon.
I think you just made the decision for me and as I have a little work to do on them anyway I think your right and will be worth the extra effort
 

mrtask

Well-Known Member
There must be a way to remove it, carry out preventative rust proofing, and then re-install the stiffener. I don't know how to weld, so I can't offer useful advice. Reckon by now you've well and truly got the hang of glueing metal back together though, eh? Practice on yours, then I'll bring you my wings for the same treatment!
 

stue1972

Active Member
There must be a way to remove it, carry out preventative rust proofing, and then re-install the stiffener. I don't know how to weld, so I can't offer useful advice. Reckon by now you've well and truly got the hang of glueing metal back together though, eh? Practice on yours, then I'll bring you my wings for the same treatment!
I have done a couple of bits of welding on it haven't I. Lol
Think I'll remove it and see how much flex there is.
Can't imagine it will be much as its quite narrow on that part of the wing
 

stue1972

Active Member
Have now welded up and cleaned up all the rivet holes and made a small repair to one of the wings.
Decided against cutting out the stiffener but will give it a good coating if dinitrol. 20220612_113502.jpg 20220612_110630.jpg 20220612_110617.jpg 20220612_113514.jpg
Then test fitted the wings.
Passenger side fitted nicely but drivers side not so much so thinking I'll elongate the holes to get a better fit.
20220612_130746.jpg 20220612_130756.jpg
 

Attachments

stue1972

Active Member
Done a bit more adjustment on the drivers side wing and does line up better now but have a bad feeling the doors full of filler
20220618_093544.jpg 20220618_093551.jpg
Anyway I continued to strip the bonnet and started in the bootlid.
20220618_095640.jpg 20220618_095649.jpg 20220618_123403.jpg 20220618_123345.jpg
20220618_123331.jpg 20220618_123337.jpg
I did use paint stripper in the boot too but what remains in the photo it wouldn't touch so used the da until i had enough.
Will finish sanding at the weekend.
 

Attachments

stue1972

Active Member
Yesterday I went about prepping the underside of the boot and bonnet.
After trying to resist removing the boot mount bracket I had to drill out rivets which made it much easier to prepair.
The bonnet was just a case of removing any flakey paint before epoxy and later in the day topcoat.
Didn't want to use paintstripper on the underside incase it got in the seams.
Didn't come out to bad to be honest.
20220625_113649.jpg 20220625_113704.jpg 20220625_135630.jpg 20220625_135624.jpg 20220625_145633.jpg 20220625_145640.jpg
 
Top