P6B S Project Car

mrtask

Well-Known Member
I can't comment on the gearbox output flange and the diff extension flange being off centre, because I haven't been underneath my car for ages! ISTR having noticed they were not exactly in the middle of the car, but I might have imagined that. All I can say is that my drivetrain is fairly noisy, and I think what I'm hearing is the UJs compensating for the offset! I think the noises were being masked by all the cacophony from my front suspension, and having fixed that I can now hear the drivetrain noises more than before. Or maybe it's just things wearing out that makes it get louder!
As regards trimming those vertical ribs, jp, wouldn't that make the mounts themselves weaker and more likely to deform? I'd rather have tight gaps and not slim down those ribs if possible! I wonder how much the gearbox actually moves at the rubber bushings... ?
 

jp928

Well-Known Member
That shows the gearbox is closer to nearside of tunnel than offside. here is the cast iron thing, clearly offset the same way - the blind face is the rear..

I make the centre of this part close to 0.5" off centre, towards the near side. it looks like more, but thats what the ruler says.
 
Last edited:

jp928

Well-Known Member
Re weakening of thebox mount support plates, I think it would be easy to reinforce the area with some short bits of steel angle bolted to the tunnel sides and supporting the mount, even after the box is in place.
 

jp928

Well-Known Member
Moving on a bit. Bought a tranny jack recently ...arrived with one tilt adjusting knob busted. Took a week to get it fixed. Dragged the box underneath - bit of a struggle, had to tip it over to get it under with gear lever fitted. Then had to slowly, bit by bit get it high enough to get on the jack (min height 200mm!). Still fighting to get it high enough to mate to the engine.....gear lever problem, remove it; need to cut some of the offside old mounts back. The boss (offside) where the remote bolts to the alloy is hitting the old rear mount plate, and the reverse gate stuff is hitting the nearside tunnel edge.
The offside head is ~1"above the reserve tap outlet - is that low enough to be able to get the box fitted?
 

jp928

Well-Known Member
Well,,,,, Lowered the engine a touch, cut some more of the offside old mounts off, trimmed a tiny bit off the bellhousing, and its in place, finally. Not out of the woods through. When I could feel the input shaft in the clutch plate splines I started a couple of long 3/8 unc bolts, jacked the box rear up,and started tightening. Soon found the output flange very hard to turn (in neutral), then the crank hard to turn (via the alternator nut). Slackened off the bolts and everything turns again. will try to get a consistent gap block->bellhousing and then tighten slowly....
 

jp928

Well-Known Member
Not really -some was done on the fly, in extremis so to speak. Look up the Penguin motors youtube on P6B LT77, it shows cutting a piece off the part that covers the starter motor, and sanding the ridge down. I cut an extra small wedge off towards the part that the bolt goes through.
My real question is does the tightening up of things occur when the bellhousing is not parallel to the block????Cab there be anything stopping the box pulling properly?

PS checked SD1 book -spigot bush only goes into crank flush, which is what I did,so I doubt the bush is a problem.....Curiously it says to ream bush to 0.750", but the LT77 pinion is 0.500".
 
Last edited:

jp928

Well-Known Member
After stewing in paranoia all night on what could be causing the problem, back into it today. Loosened off most bolts to ensure I wasnt loading the bellhousing in any direction (some bolts longer than std to ensure it couldnt fall off), check faces parallel, wriggle the box as much as I can manage in all planes, nothing. Try tightening again. As soon as I put any tension on things the output flange would start binding. Re-loosened bolts, tried a different tightening sequence.....Ding! Pinion slid into the bush! Now everything tightens smoothly, feels fine. What a relief. If I ever have to do this again I think I will take a rose bit to the mouth of the bush to help get the pinion find the hole! Now to tackle the 'easier' stuff, like the rear mount etc. So far only 3 bandaids last 2 days.
Here is what I cut off the starter cover...triangle at the top made life a lot easier in the lifting process, after doing what penguin suggest.
 
Last edited:

jp928

Well-Known Member
Got the gear lever back in, with modified cover plate . Bloodied a knuckle getting the fan nuts back in place - export viscous type. Tidied up all the stray bolts and tools, ready to start on lifting to correct height and work out a rear mount....
 
Top