1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P6B Rear Wing to Door Seal Right Hand Rear 367878 Wanted

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Lovel, Apr 9, 2018.

  1. Lovel

    Lovel Member

    Looking for the alloy bracket in decent condition or a complete assembly with a persished rubber, as mine has corroded away on the mounting lugs.
     
  2. Lovel

    Lovel Member

    No longer required. Made my own from sheet aluminium. Came out quite nicely too if I may say.
     
    DavidWalker likes this.
  3. mrtask

    mrtask Well-Known Member

    Lovel, you can't blow your own trumpet unless you show us your crafty handiwork! Let's see some photos of it, and hear how you did it! You might even be honoured with a 'sticky' if your how-to thread is deemed worthwhile by the moderators!
     
  4. Lovel

    Lovel Member

    I would have posted something but I thought it was such a basic requirement no-one would be interested, and this coupled with the excitement of making and fitting the part I just forged on ahead to complete the job. However I have the other rear side to do in the next two weeks or so, so for that one I'll post something up to show how I did it.
     
  5. Lovel

    Lovel Member

    Here's how I made mine.

    Purchased 1.2mm aluminium sheet from here.
    Aluminium Sheet 0.7 0.9 1.2 1.5 2.0 2.5 3.0 4.0 mm Thick x 25 Pre Cut Sizes | eBay

    Removed the old rubber and laid out the old strip and noted the bending points.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I then flattened out the old strip.
    [​IMG]
    Clamped the old strip to the new sheet of aluminium using g-clamps.
    [​IMG]
    Scribed around the profile including any existing holes for the staples and rivets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Centre dabbed for drilling with 1/4" drill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Roughly cut out with tin snips.
    [​IMG]
    Filling into shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Checked shape on old wing.
    [​IMG]
    Staples used
    [​IMG]
    Fitted to new wing. A few adjustments are required at this stage to get a nice fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    DavidWalker likes this.
  6. cobraboy

    cobraboy Well-Known Member

    Great job !
     
  7. mrtask

    mrtask Well-Known Member

    Indeed! What a shame they aren't visible when installed. I spent long enough filing the readymade parts I used to remove sharp burrs and edges. That looks like a lot of patience was required.
    I looked at the last photo and shuddered when I remembered undertaking the laborious and nerve wracking procedure of refitting all the bits'n'pieces back onto freshly painted panels. In retrospect, looking at the ever blooming spots where my fresh paintwork is bubbling up after not quite six years, I can only repeat that liberal application of fresh cavity wax is an absolute must! Sorry if I'm going off topic, but although I thought I'd applied enough corrosion protection at that stage, I obviously hadn't!
     
  8. Lovel

    Lovel Member

    It took me no more than 1 1/2" hours from start to finish, so its not too onerous a job really. Yes new panels and doors all round. I've been using spray on bilthamber dynax s50 which is very thin and creeps into the seams of the panels like the spot weld joints and door skin seems etc, followed by an application of a thicker dinitrol 3125 cavity wax. and good old grease applied where I can get it. Still don't want to take it out in the rain now I have put so much into it.
    Most of the body panels are fitted and line up nicely, however the two pack paintwork is suffering from a bit of orange peel effect, so it looks like I will be spending many more hours rubbing it down to remove and then polishing to a mirror finish.
     
  9. mrtask

    mrtask Well-Known Member

    I suppose corrosion issues are to be expected when the car is used all year round, regardless of the weather. I don't have a winter beater, I wash the car thoroughly on a weekly basis. I need to get hold of a polishing machine and sort out the gazillion swirls that I've achieved despite using two buckets and fresh microfibre towels! Treat it mean but keep it clean is my motto. ;)
     

Share This Page