P6 Group 2 Project

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
#1
I thought I would put together my attempts so far to change what was a perfectly good P6 into something that ...... well is not normal ! Mainly because I did not realise the car would be so interesting to work on and also I wanted to be able to find my stuff to update. So here it is.
Hi from Suffolk
Custom Anti Roll Bar- Cheap opportunity! page 17 #340 onward
Spring and damper conversion
GRP WINGS
5 speed install and off to the painters !
Rear brake pads
HS8
Cooling a V8
4.6 gets the green light !
M1144 PADS
Four barrel conversion
Bell crank bushes and front damper works
Rocker cover project
 
Last edited:

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
#2
I have made an attempt to improve the braking and had the front discs re surfaced and fitted some Mintex M1144 pads. I have used these pads before and they do stop well, they have a nice bite from cold, I have to bed them in but already the improvement is huge.
The part number is MGB522 for my '72 3500 car.
IMG_0222 (1).JPG
 
Last edited:

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
#3
Well today I finally got to take the old girl to a race circuit, Snetterton in Norfolk, my local venue.
I have driven there many times , but not on the new 300 circuit. The old girl drove very well and I am chuffed to bits with the handling, tyre temp readings showed a near perfect heat spread across the width of the tyres all round indicating the geometry is not far off.

I was hampered by having to install inserts in the exhaust to meet a noise limit of 102 db, last thing I took them out and I must have gained 20 bhp, the result was better acceleration.
Overall though the car was slow, too tall a rear axle ratio and a tired engine are the cause.
But what a hoot !!!!! best fun for ages :)
XSP_0022.JPG
XSP_0054.JPG
XSP_0301.JPG XSP_0296.JPG
 

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
#5
Having chatted with Clive at the weekend and in readiness for the 4.6 install I decided I would make the front slam panel removable, because when I put in the 5sp the box was a bit tight to squeeze under the tunnel, so with the eng/box more level it should be a doddle.
Panel was removed by releasing the spot welds with a 3mm tungsten cutter in a die grinder being careful not to go through both skins.
IMG_0674.JPG
I decided to use Rivnuts to bolt the panel back in with. 4 x M6 each side on the top and 2 x M5 each side for the diagonal brace.
IMG_0675.JPG
Laid back in place.
IMG_0676.JPG
 
Last edited:

corazon

Well-Known Member
#6
It makes things so much easier, you'll be very glad you've done that :)
I've got a little plan with mine to make it slide down in and then lock, just another thing not done on the to do list though
Jim
 

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
#7
Yes quite looking forward to the job now. Has to be done in the coming few days as I have an op' on my right hand coming up and will be out of action for a bit.
 

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
#8
Early days.
Went and saw a friend today who just managed to unlock his ipad after a long shut down. This popped out of his pics. It was taken 9 months in to the build. I had to move the car to home from the barn as it had been visited by travellers. The front wings have not even been laid up yet, they are carved polyurethane foam. I worked under a gazebo for shelter, seems a long time ago.
Building the Rover at home - Copy.JPG
 
Top