I have just set things up manually & by ear so far but everything is going smoothly. I've finally bid the engine rattle 'good bye'! Hopefully I'll get it set up by strobe at the weekend.
Having done around 25 miles 'bedding in' I did have another rattle but it was coming from the dynamo & sounded like a duff bearing or similar. Having researched possible new or refurbished ones, I thought I'd just check the easy stuff first. Turned out that I hadn't done the rear bolt up from when I loosely assembled everything before the engine went back in..... As we always say: "try the easy things first!"
We're intending to take OCC to the all Rover rally at East Kirkby in Lincolnshire next month, so I want to get a couple of hundred miles under its belt before then, so we've got a bit of confidence. Hopefully we'll see some of you guys there.
150 miles now & another loose dynamo bolt but otherwise doing great!
I'm looking forward to going to the All Rover Rally at East Kirkby...... not sure if Karen , my wife is as keen on going in this P6. She wants to go in Hazel instead, but if all's OK in the next week, we'll go in OCC
We had a good do at the Rover rally on Saturday; here's OCC with some friends:
The oldest & roughest-looking P6 there! However, the car went really well, doing a lot of miles at or close to the speed limits. She's pretty well run in again now.
Before we went, I thought I'd install an entertainment system (or do we call them 'solutions' now?). I'd gleaned from people I'd spoken with that some 70s radios had a switch to change to +ve earth & sure enough, one I'd had for decades had! I managed to install it relatively easily after a bit of faffing with the aerial. I think it looks good:
It's truly evocative of the old days as it's only got AM & LW. The sound through the one (original) speaker is actually quite good & rich, although AM does have a tendency to go quiet when you pass under wires etc
You may have also noticed Esso's 'Mr Drip' hanging from the Reserve knob:
This is the underside of an early front seat, with its different forward & back adjusting handle & cables:
I have also got the clock working Series 1 clock & have been tweaking its speed over the last two weeks. It now is pretty spot on after 5 days, so I'm happy with that. Probably the best accuracy I can remember even when we had them in the 70s!