I’ve been a little quiet on this in January as I’ve secured a new premises, and had been working on one of the owner’s projects for a week or so followed by moving and setting up.
Today before the weather turned again we took the opportunity to get the Rover moved.
Yes well you and me both, I can’t quite believe it still.
We’ve nearly finished setting the place up, bar painting the floor.
It’s a treat being able to see the car from further away and different angles. I mocked up one of the rear wheels with the wider wings and new arches earlier and it’s definitely coming together how I want it to.
With the modern floor paints you can paint a 'seasoned' floor, it does not have to be spotless, provided you de grease as best you can and there is no deep soft oil the paint adheres well.
I did a recent re paint in my home workshop as the Cobra was away being painted, I did not move everything out, instead I pulled straight lines down the periphery tight to the obstacles and it looked really nice and fresh ready for the car's return and build up.
There are areas of the floor that probably won't take paint now. The top surface does powder away a bit, so that would all need stabilising. I might do small areas at some time. Trouble is I can't see much of the floor area now anyway. It needed doing at the start. The powdering is a pain, but I doubt that it will wear away, I laid it a minimum of 8" deep.
Seemed to take nicely, two of us did the majority of the space in a couple of hours this morning. Such a difference.
One half of the floor had been done very nicely, almost polished, and the other rough but not awful.
Don’t get too excited, no progress on the shell. But the rotator got upgraded to make life easier in the workshop- everything must be on wheels is the new mantra.
It’s surprisingly easy to move around singlehanded now.
Having just finished a bespoke Range Rover Classic rotator/shell separator jig we thought it about time the P6 got some attention too!
Wow a long time has passed I know. Setting up the new place and wall to wall work has meant absolutely no spare time for it, until now.
Final welded the suspension mount upgrades and re-did much of the factory welds in the area, sprayed in aerosol epoxy to protect until the the proper 2 part epoxy is sprayed.
I can’t recommend Spectral aerosol Epoxy highly enough though, I don’t like to use any other aerosol primer these days.
The plates are cut for the other side so will get done to match asap.
Tomorrow however I have more exciting plans for. I won’t say too much, but the words internal;brace;bulkhead are all clues
The bulkhead bracing is mostly closed back in now. The areas remaining supporting the bellcrank mountings I’m going to make from 3mm plate, I think this area deserves some reinforcement.
The shell is starting to feel a lot more rigid, just spinning it on the rotator is noticeable.
If you look closely you might notice the new tubular towing location under the front crossmember too.
I’ve got a couple more interesting changes to implement before the shell is completed, let’s see what the coming days bring!
Whilst you are here, in the bottom photo, the area bottom centre may cause you a problem. I had to clearance that area in order to get the room for the outside of the tyre to clear on full RH lock.
It may pay you to assemble some suspension and a wheel and tyre at tide height to check it out before you pack up the welder.
I like the scaffolding in the bulkhead. It will be interesting to see if you have solved the waywardness I had.
Ah that’s an interesting one, I shall do indeed thanks.
I did have the new wheels on there for a while before stripdown but I think they were always just off the ground.
Ah the Esab is always out in use haha, it’s just finally the Rover’s turn.
I’m gonna push to get this shell finished ASAP and into epoxy so the mechanical build can start in the Autumn!