My mean green hornet

corazon

Well-Known Member
It was indeed beer o’clock!
Yes I remember you having to do that Mark. Tbh I’d like to completely replace the lower mount with new steel but there’s little point for the amount of work and retaining the correct angle etc.
Jim
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Late lunchtime update.
I’ll shortly be at the stage of removing the outer sill. I’ve got the front and rear jacking point box sections off and most of the B pillar drilled out.

8A01CFFB-FD56-4D1E-821D-287EB58BAC11.jpeg
51F9B92E-806B-41A2-852E-3D7CB8DD6A7E.jpeg

I’ve also removed the D post middle strengthening panel which has seen better days. It didn’t come off as nicely as I’d have liked due to some overlapping factory spot welds

F723198E-57C6-4C00-B196-359A03D298FA.jpeg
D1BE1C5B-A014-4B39-B374-55C9213EF6F7.jpeg

Dark clouds and thunder just rolling in, hopefully won’t lose power for continued work tonight

Jim
 
Hi Jim, looks amazing ! A great challenge but will be fantastic once done, will be watching with envious interest, love your unit too, brilliant way of building a workshop!
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Thanks gents,
I’ve had a few days of work work so not quite as much progress, but found a few hours today to remove B post.
In hindsight I didn’t need to drill out so much, I’d planned on splitting the two parts-inner and outer, but realised while doing it that wasn’t really necessary. Anyway, it’s off

A1B3F021-B4ED-4559-B4DF-ED4FA8539BB8.jpeg
2A64061A-B0F1-4C01-814B-FE22D70080BF.jpeg
13FFFF4A-BEF8-49F3-A889-0FD97B352ABF.jpeg

Jim
 
Thanks gents,
I’ve had a few days of work work so not quite as much progress, but found a few hours today to remove B post.
In hindsight I didn’t need to drill out so much, I’d planned on splitting the two parts-inner and outer, but realised while doing it that wasn’t really necessary. Anyway, it’s off

View attachment 14179
View attachment 14177
View attachment 14178

Jim
how are you going to get that B post , back in the correct position, so the doos shut?
Peter
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Outer sill now off.
Old vs New
65830F99-3AFA-40C3-B04C-10693EA28F8E.jpeg
2E69F66C-2D85-4216-BB39-76F0D160C0B5.jpeg

Nearly at the point where I can mock up and weld in entire inner sill panel and build back up from there on this side. Can’t wait to see the clean lines and transitions.
I might pop a temporary brace into that side of the car before cutting old inner out.



B75C3A96-171C-4FD4-8C20-857317802876.jpeg
855B5FA6-87B4-41F5-A96E-5CE80DA1CDF1.jpeg


Jim
 

Ban306

Active Member
I agree and if I owned a Hat I would remove mine too, it always amazes me how you see people chopping cars cutting rusty bits out but then can then build it back up. they must have a photographic memory really interesting work any tips on how you build up a panel from nothing to work with
 
A project not for the faint hearted or the onset of dementia!
I spoke with a guy recently who is now using a type of adhesive to join panels, said that it
reduced the rust caused by trapping moisture between panels when welding.
Probably not feasible in Jim's case because so many small welds required to reassemble.
Morgans have been doing it for years on chassis and body parts.
Just have to be careful not to get front and rear doors mixed up, otherwise confusion would occur
as to weather you were coming or going? ;)
Peter
 

quattro

Well-Known Member
You're braver then me Jim, I'd be worried about the whole thing going floppy and not lining up with bolt on panels later on o_O

Saying that, mine doesn't line up that well anyway, it's a Rover thing.

I spoke with a guy recently who is now using a type of adhesive to join panels, said that it
reduced the rust caused by trapping moisture between panels when welding.Peter
If you use adhesives, you do get a better bond than spot welding as the whole area is covered not just a point in the middle. Plus as Peter says, there's no chance of moisture getting in as the whole area of seam is filled. You can also bond dissimilar surfaces, e.g. Mild steel to GRP, something which is impossible with welding.

The rubber seal channels I replaced on Sparky are bonded on with a methacrylate adhesive.
 
Top