My mean green hornet

corazon

Well-Known Member
Not being able to wait is an understatement!
The way the roof has previously been built means a lot of ventilation on the low side of the pitch as it’s essentially open, water runs off the far edge of the left hand container.
I’ve been thinking about a solar vent fan too..

The guys left behind an I beam trolley rated to 1250kg or so, but the beams are pitched so anything of weight would just roll down to the left!..I’m tempted to weld in another lengthwise and level for usefulness

Windows are thick acrylic that was laying around, they seem to let a good amount of natural light in and it gets the afternoon/evening sun so it’s perfect

644A98E6-694E-476E-AD2F-BFD1D271D42B.jpeg
DEF6C644-F9ED-4FC2-AA26-0FF512096DB1.jpeg
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Just about ready to get the car in and back on the rotisserie!

fullsizeoutput_ad5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ad6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ad8.jpeg fullsizeoutput_adb.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a95.jpeg

I've been rediscovering all the aftermarket goodies I'd bought for the project whilst sorting through boxes. That's got me really fired up to get cracking!

Jim
 

harveyp6

Well-Known Member
Lots of Bisley storage in there. I like a good workshop build/setting up thread. Even though I have a good sized workshop, I still get workshop envy when I see anyone else building theirs.
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
It is fun setting up again, trying to only keep the best quality things that you really need..
I got a lot of that storage a bargain prices or free, the shallower drawer Bisleys are so useful for milling and lathe bits!

Well working alone today I got the shell into the new space, off the trailer and onto the roller without too much bother.
Ratchet straps and I beams certainly helped- thanks guys :D

fullsizeoutput_b14.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b15.jpeg

The impeccable timing and cavalier attitude to danger award goes to my ginger boy..needless to say he wasn't under there long! But they always think the photo shoot is about them

fullsizeoutput_b16.jpeg

Jim
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Probably a bit premature for wheels lol. Next two weeks are earmarked for welding, and if all goes to schedule, spraying the shell in epoxy primer
Jim
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
So here are the money shots. This is what £700 got me. No nasty surprises, plenty of bits to sort/redo but a nice solid shell on the whole!

CF5E090B-4D73-47D6-9143-4EB7768AD4B2.jpeg 3A636A56-1B77-4A07-BA0B-99FBEBD47E7D.jpeg 0217EF5D-9825-48AF-A644-9E38B77AEF7B.jpeg BE7C3C67-82E5-45BD-B67E-CBF07FF88A6D.jpeg A7EBD8D9-A717-4698-B9DE-39C37A3E6DCE.jpeg F166E3DB-6176-4E96-BBFD-CC5C86093023.jpeg B5F66067-A43F-490E-AEE0-07391F1EB86F.jpeg A6DE939B-3E1A-4360-B0DC-C9FE64D3F87D.jpeg 3AE127F1-9DE6-44B9-AC4D-EE26659E7DA6.jpeg 474ECA5C-BE37-412D-A7D9-8AFDE94E169F.jpeg
 
Last edited:

quattro

Well-Known Member
Now that looks like a challenge :)

Are you going to try and find repair panels, or make your own?

Looking forward to seeing this progress

Richard
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Morning Richard,
I’ve got a few panels ready, inner and outer sills, headlamp and lower splash panels..but the rest I’ll fabricate
Gotta work quickly now too!
Exciting times
Jim
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
As you can see, I removed the driver side lower splash panel before blasting

C159F0D9-FFB6-4D7A-9A79-A1F17BA9BED8.jpeg

The other side was plated and bodged and way more work to remove sympathetically. Not knowing what was under there I left it as it was.

Here’s what was underneath, nowhere near as bad as the plating would suggest, just lazy cover up welding to pass an mot no doubt.
Shouldn’t be too hard to put back to factory

656B6AE9-C516-4860-86EE-AEDA3EA24053.jpeg
E685A00A-13FB-404C-8152-D8D7FA9A72E8.jpeg
3B026970-2BEA-4CC8-A5D5-B8FF79FBC693.jpeg
71C9CA24-736C-4F47-845B-6D1EC10F543B.jpeg
AA67D194-139B-4DD9-8E33-B936E9B5EE7D.jpeg

Jim
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Yeah I’m trying to crack on with it daily, getting lots done.
I’ve removed a couple of factory items from the shell to simplify things.
The rear bump stops are no longer needed with coilovers and were rotten anyway. I’ve also now fully trimmed the original gearbox mounts only leaving the spot welded flange as tunnel bracing. This is to accommodate the new ZF mounting system I designed.
All easy to put back to stock if ever necessary.

AFB59B98-0993-4C9E-85C8-47F301DE3B8A.jpeg 93A1C87E-6A90-4E7B-A6A3-FD35A848D275.jpeg

Jim
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Progress today involved removing D post outer skin which is potentially salvageable considering the rot is the area I’ll be losing to fit the wider wheels.

A6FD9EF0-C74E-4E0D-BED2-A47C7B0C7B95.jpeg
3409777D-4800-42E9-890B-C86D546F8F54.jpeg

Another quick mod to base unit I did today was to thread the front lower shock mount to M16x1.5 to use a Nyloc instead if split pin retaining arrangement.

DB1AAB1D-8F52-4647-86FC-8D73C028A38D.jpeg

More tomorrow,
Jim
 
Top