Handbrake failure

Demetris

Well-Known Member
#1
It is some time now that my handbrake failed to pass the Harvey's test, and gradually the handbrake performance became not acceptable. So this afternoon i dived under the rear of my P6 for some manual caliper adjustment. The LH caliper responded as one would expect, and the movement of the quadrant was shortened significantly. However, the RH one was a different story, because i could turn the quadrant through its full travel without any effect to the pad movement. I didn't had the chance to check if the foot brake works at all in this caliper, and i can't think of what might have happened inside the caliper, but for sure i have to take this caliper out, and have some spare caliper guts available. I am sure it is not down to any assembly problem at the time of the last rebuild, because both rear brakes and handbrake worked properly for years and the car was passing the equivalent MOT inspection.
 

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
#2
Could you hear a click on the RH side ? I wonder if it would be worth winding the RH piston back in and then seeing if the piston will adjust out before you take it all off.
 

Demetris

Well-Known Member
#3
Yes, it was clicking at the end of its travel. I had the same thought with you last night about winding the piston back. I should have done it while i had the disc and pads out. Now i have assembled everything, but it is definitely worth a try before i remove and disassemble the caliper.
 

Demetris

Well-Known Member
#4
Right, just this afternoon i was able to confirm that also the brake doesn't work in this caliper. Perhaps this means that the caliper won't adjust, but i will try to wind out the piston first and see if this has any effect. I have a spare serrated wheel and the various springs, but no pawl, so i would like to have a good one at hand before taking the caliper out. In any case the car isn't going anywhere now, so i don't expect to do something about it anytime soon.
 

Demetris

Well-Known Member
#5
As they say, time flies...
Last weekend i found some time to remove and inspect the calipers. The problem was that the mechanical piston was stuck to the serrated wheel bolt, so it could not be persuated to adjust itself. The last time that i rebuilt them i have used some high melting point grease (some drak green permatex stuff) that perhaps with the heat became dry. Cleaning the old grease allowed the piston wind and unwind itself without much effort. The other side was starting to become reluctant too, so i prefered to follow the same cleaning procedure. While i was there i replaced the hoses and pads, even if it looked as though there was still life in them. Finally i could not resist to join the "Rover P6 rear brake caliper's colourful cover register" , since i had some carrot orange spray available! Now rear brakes work again as they should.

20210529_164442.jpg
 
Top