for the love of cars

#22
I like the fact they showed a 'ROVER' banner in the period footage of the LR programme and the quality of the resto seems very high, certainly when compared with the jokers on Classic Car Rescue.

There does seem a very annoying tendency amongst Land Rover folk to brush the Rover bit aside when discussing them even though no company called 'Land Rover' actually existed until 1978.....
 
#24
he got a bit mixed up when he said rover stuck with the exhaust over inlet but ill forgive him as he turned out a gorgeous landy , did you see bernie doing the fiat 500 , after the restoration they find the clutch was gone , no problem to a master mechanic,even an amateur valley boy like me would have checked the clutch when the motor was out ,t#sser,rich
 

colnerov

Well-Known Member
#25
Hi, I wouldn't have checked it I would have just changed it. Clutches don't like being disturbed
they nearly always judder after wards. For what they cost it's not worth penny pinching.

Colin
 

Phil Robson

Well-Known Member
#26
Johnny E said:
... the jokers on Classic Car Rescue.
I've just been watching a recorded episode of these two. Believe it or not, they actually seem to have a decent car for their own transport. :D
None other than a nice-looking Zircon V8S with Webasto. Didn't quite get the reg so will have to watch the start again. It's the episode on the SL Mercedes.
 

vaultsman

Well-Known Member
#27
Yes, I noticed the V8S Phil. They might be useless, but with taste. :)

On topic, I wasn't transfixed by the Escort episode but I thought the Landy programme was excellent. For me, the sardonic Glenister's just so right for the series.

Especially good to see Tom Sheppard involved. Loved it!
 

So Cal V8

Active Member
#28
At 10:11 I enjoyed the comment about "...the result, any idiot could use one" followed immediately by an old news reel of the Duke of Edinburgh in his Series One. Are they trying to say something, or are the two events unconnected...
 
#29
Phil Robson said:
Johnny E said:
... the jokers on Classic Car Rescue.
I've just been watching a recorded episode of these two. Believe it or not, they actually seem to have a decent car for their own transport. :D
None other than a nice-looking Zircon V8S with Webasto. Didn't quite get the reg so will have to watch the start again. It's the episode on the SL Mercedes.
Hi Phil - the reg number of the V8S is WCW 358M, this particular car was for sale on carandclassic.co.uk last year and caught my eye at the time as my first P6, a 2000TC was WCW 375M.

Nidge :wink:
 
#32
i didnt enjoy the stag one as much as the others, nice end product but i think my judgement was somewhat clouded by the claims they had "solved the stags reliability problems and the evidence of this was a few temperature readings from a newly built engine on a dyno test where it broke down.... :mrgreen:
 
#34
And couldn't someone tell him to turn the damned headlights off, or at least dip them? After a lengthy photoshoot like that, it's hardly a wonder they flattened the battery.
 
#35
I am enjoying this show and the Stag episode was great!

I'd love one of these BL cruisers one day and it is quite obvious that the prices are rising day by day!!!

It is a shame they didn't develop the coupe version as that could have really helped broaden its appeal.

I will have a Staaaaaaaaaag (it has to be pronounced with a long-a!) one day...
 
#36
stags sound lovely , nicer than the rover v8 , do you notice that the mechanic, one of the best in the country always has an expert on hand to rebuild the engine
 

harveyp6

Well-Known Member
#37
rover100rich said:
do you notice that the mechanic, one of the best in the country always has an expert on hand to rebuild the engine

Wait till they do the MG, he has someone else do the whole car. (Although they probably won't tell you that.....)
 
#38
And it is not a downton engine if its been remanufactured by a.n.other engineering company... Seemingly they also found the worlds first barn fi d rotbox mini that didn't need any panelwork and just needed a fresh coat of paint. Again though lovely result. But as it was no expense spared id expect that!
 
#39
Well, I watched this for the first time last night ( Mini Cooper ) . It is not (quite) as bad as the other one with the fat man , but it is pretty dire all the same. The presenter is an ignorant scruff, and the "mechanic" doesn't seem to know much about values despite being an "expert ". To pay £9.5 K for a crappy Cooper ( not a Cooper S ) in the first place was extraordinary, and then to say that he could treble its value was even more risible ! The colour they chose didn't look anything like Almond green to me, but more like the BRG used on 1990s Minis . What please, are the " special Downton carburetters " i.e SU HS4 in all probability ? And so it went on - yet another classic car programme which ends up belittling the efforts of those who really do know something about the cars they attend to
 

colnerov

Well-Known Member
#40
christopher storey said:
Well, I watched this for the first time last night ( Mini Cooper ) . It is not (quite) as bad as the other one with the fat man , but it is pretty dire all the same. The presenter is an ignorant scruff, and the "mechanic" doesn't seem to know much about values despite being an "expert ". To pay £9.5 K for a crappy Cooper ( not a Cooper S ) in the first place was extraordinary, and then to say that he could treble its value was even more risible ! The colour they chose didn't look anything like Almond green to me, but more like the BRG used on 1990s Minis . What please, are the " special Downton carburetters " i.e SU HS4 in all probability ? And so it went on - yet another classic car programme which ends up belittling the efforts of those who really do know something about the cars they attend to
Hi, I don't want to get into an anorak argument with you. However, why a Cooper and not a Cooper S? Well, why
series 1 P6 as opposed to a series 2 P6? They very nearly trebled it's value getting £24,780 at auction for it.
Special Downton carbs? They are indeed HS4s whereas the Cooper had HS2s, but the carbs were matched to the
manifold. This programme is not aimed at experts but people with and without an interest in cars who want to
be entertained on a Sunday evening. If it was too technical and had no human interest element senior management
would veto the viewing. :wink: Philip Glenister is a bit 'luvvie' and trying to be 'geezer', and is I think a bit out of his
depth at times although he has a passing interest in cars. Ant Anstead knows his way round a set of spanners and has
a passion for cars but knows he has to tailor it for the audience, and tolerates Philip.

Colin
 
Top