Carpet fitting...

Just ordered a set of the Coverdale Kensington in Wheat, as the nearest to Mortlake Brown. Not cheap at £650, but people here seem to agree they're pretty good.

How easy is it to fit carpets? Not a thing I've ever done, or seen done. Seats out, centre console out etc... Will the old one just come out easily, or hours of scraping old glue off? Anyone done this (so I can learn by someone else's mistakes!)? Do they just spray-glue down, and do I need a particular glue (heat/water resistant)?

Any advice appreciated!
 
Fairly easy to remove, but the particle underfoam can break up when removing them. You can just stick it back together though, or replace it with a more modern variant.

Glue - use a high temp auto grade aerosol adhesive like Trimspray 120 or Trimfix.
 
Just ordered a set of the Coverdale Kensington in Wheat, as the nearest to Mortlake Brown. Not cheap at £650, but people here seem to agree they're pretty good.

How easy is it to fit carpets? Not a thing I've ever done, or seen done. Seats out, centre console out etc... Will the old one just come out easily, or hours of scraping old glue off? Anyone done this (so I can learn by someone else's mistakes!)? Do they just spray-glue down, and do I need a particular glue (heat/water resistant)?

Any advice appreciated!

It's not a difficult job, just a PITA. The center console and the heater knobs are annoying and old plastic can break. Completely getting the glue off took an age both the carpet glue which I assume is old fashioned animal glue and the residue from the old sound damping tiles. What is a good idea while the carpet is out is to replace any sound damping tiles with modern ones if they have come unstuck. They basically only work when stuck on, otherwise are dead weight. I also ditched the old soundproofing as it was smelly. What you see in the pictures is the goop on the trans tunnel after the tile removal and the other is the soundproofing I used. Its techsound 50 which doesn't smell and doesn't absorb water. And actually works far better.

The difficult bit to get looking right is the forward part of the trans tunnel which needs a little foam underneath to make a nice shape which fits the bottom of the console. Otherwise it'll follow the contours of the metal and leave a gap to the plastic.

Basically it's a good opportunity to clean everything as throughly as you can. You might want to give the floor a fresh coat of epoxy while you're at it.

1670322766142.png1670322813238.png
 
Last edited:
Have you fitted the carpets, and was it as much a PITA as Peter said for someone without experience?
And: how do they look after fitting? Happy with the material and the result?
 
Not sure if this will help, but this is the start of my thread section on replacing the carpets. I found some rust that needed repairs and added modern sound proofing materials (worth the trouble and expense in my opinion). Getting back on the road (from post #168)

In my case I got the carpet set from Tech Auto but my understanding is the quality is similar to Cloverdales. It’s pretty easy to fit once you remove the seats and console. The only areas the require glue are the inner sills and bits that go on the card seat mount covers as far as I remember. I would suggest you use some carpet double sided tape or use that rough step grip tape under the driver’s side floor mat. Otherwise it can slide forward and get under the pedals.
 
Great, thanks for your explanation. I exchanged a bit of info with Josh, but was wondering how the Coverdale and the TechAutos compare.
I think you chose the champagne beige, right? Not the new ochre? New Ochre is too different from Mortlake perhaps?
 
Yes, pretty sure it was champagne beige when I got it. It’s held up very well in the intervening five years of use.
 
Without doubt for me was the really odd folding that goes on at the front of the drivers door sill area. I fitted Coverdale carpets and they are great but quite thick and it makes this area quite challenging to get right! If you haven't taken the old carpet out yet, take note of how it is folded!



DSCF1103.JPG

DSCF1296.JPG
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1102.JPG
    DSCF1102.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 6
Yes, there's a bit of a knack to the 'A' post fitting, use two or three folds to get round the curve and bang it down with the side of the fist to 'set' it. A tip is to fold the upper over the lower folds otherwise it collects dirt.

Colin
 
Too late... I took them out and threw them out immediately. There was nothing left anyway (moths).
I can see how that can be difficult... Hope your photograph helps!
In my car someone drilled a phillips screw to keep the upright part in place (!).

The good news is: there is no rust anywhere. Even hardly any surface rust. Amazing.
 
Back
Top