I have once again entrusted my mechanic friend to do some more structural work; I will be finishing it off very soon myself, but I'm very pleased with the recent results. The n/s D Post has now been fitted (did I say this came from a VIP base unit? :shock: )....
Here is the wing I used as a replacement for the driver's front which doesn't look that much better than in the above picture! Actually, apart from this front section, it was very good. However, I would probably have scrapped one like this a few years ago!
Here it is after I'd welded a new piece in (okay, & used a small amount of filler... ) & sprayed it:
I thought my spraying had improved with all the work initially looking like this:
However, whilst the rears stayed this way, the fronts deteriorated somewhat; I don't know if the cold after the relative warmth when spraying caused this:
Fortunately, I had put 6 coats of colour on & flatted it back with 800 grade wetordry, followed by 1500 grade & Farecla no.3.
The colours look varied in these pictures but the finished result is close enough to the 'not-very-Zircon' blue so as not to matter. I got a second colour match done (the first was original P6 Zircon Blue, which my car is certainly not..), but this was not great, so I it to the factors & got back some much better paint instead. (see these posts: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21498&hilit=zircon)
Bradbury four poster with a "wheelfree" frame. I worked using one for a couple of years and it was OK for most jobs, but like all lifts it has advantages and disadvantages. I bought one for £100 and sold it the same day without even unloading it from my trailer.
Thank you, Phil and Harvey! I am looking around for a solution for me at home to do the jobs that require lifting the Land Rover.
I worked under Stenhoj 2 posters as an Apprentice, but the 4 posts are much more numerous here in SA.
I've started doing my welding bits on BOP now. To recap; a friendly garage has done the major sill work on this one (I've done enough P6 sills for the time being ), & I'm doing the remaining parts.
This car has been known to me for at least 25 years & was always one I wanted. It was left to me in a friend's will, which certainly saved the car as it really was far too bad to restore. However, the rust is systematically getting eradicated. No patch-overs here; I want the car to last well in most weathers as it's going to replace Hazel as a daily driver.
The wings have now been repaired at the back & the lower flanks have been resprayed in a now-matching 'Zircon Blue'. The front wings are from other cars; they have been repaired as necessary & sprayed also. All lights are now fitted & each wing will go back on as I finish a 'corner', so that it keeps the morale up!
Anyway, I've just tackled the o/s rear wheel arch. Usual stuff, with the splash panels rotten & holes in front of the battery box:
I have made up a section to go in here:
After a bit of effort I have managed to bend the lip in both the convex & concave corners which I am very pleased with. I used to snip 'V's in the edge & bend each section to approximate the curve, but a bit of time, a hammer & vice has produced this with no gaps at all!
I have put a joddled step in to give a better/easier weld later.
I managed to form this section for the wheel arch outer edge without cutting the piece, which spurred me on to try the above. I know many of you will be streets ahead of me in metalwork, but I thought it worth posting for the more amateur owners like me.
Whilst posting, I will just show you a picture of the pattern o/s upper splash panel that I got from J R Wadhams. To be fair, I've been disappointed with various patterns from various suppliers over the years, but these parts are excellent, as are the lower sections that I've also got for each side. The middle pressings used to be missing, but now they look just like the original! (By the way, I've no involvement with any supplier, except as a customer).
An update on this; I've had to trim the upper edge of the o/s lower splash panel so that it will clear the top link when it's welded in. I've straightened the top lip out & trimmed around 8mm off, then re-folded it:
It should fit well now, once I've cleaned things up a bit.
Here's another view of the area being repaired. The strip across the middle is the top lip of the original lower splash panel & will be cut out.