1967 2000tc SGN

stue1972

Active Member
#1
Collecting my new project from jules (8866nk) Saturday morning.
To say I'm a little excited would be an understatement :)
Photos to follow once ive collected
 

Pilkie

Active Member
#2
All the very best with your new project! :)
cant wait to see the pics! :)
At least Jules will be a good source of s/h spares if you need them! :wink:
 

stue1972

Active Member
#4
Well what a busy day ive had today.
Up early and out to scrap my previous projects base unit and then off down to Ringwood to see Jules (8866nk) to collect my new project.
Then this afternoon have got it running all be it not very well but doesn't rattle knock and oil pressure seems good so fingers crossed should be ok with a service.
However the gearbox is another matter. can select all gears while running but no drive, I'm hoping clutch but will remove box soon to investigate further.
Also removed o/s sill cover which has been repaired in the past but doesn't look to bad and found a couple of bits of rot under front wheelarches
Heres a few pics of today. sorry there not great but till I get the brakes freed off in the garage it must stay :) :)
 

Attachments

#5
Blimey STue, you don't hang about do you.
Getting it running will be the easy part,
The tricky bit is sussing out what that switsh console on the roof is!
I'd best push on with mine now before I die of shame!
j
 

stina

New Member
#6
Ah ha , So you've met Jules , and the good looking brains of his outfit , Rocky ! :D
Good luck with the Thunderbird , sure it'll be a worth while project :D
 

stue1972

Active Member
#7
Thought I'd make the most of it as it was quite a nice day.
Can only really do it on Saturdays as my garage is about 5 miles from where I live although now with the lighter evenings might have the odd evening over there.
Next Job is Gearbox out to see why I can select gears but no drive, noises or anything.

On another note.
Any idea what colour blue it is??
 

stue1972

Active Member
#8
stina said:
Ah ha , So you've met Jules , and the good looking brains of his outfit , Rocky ! :D
Good luck with the Thunderbird , sure it'll be a worth while project :D
I have indeed, A few weeks ago to view the car and again today with my son in toe :)
 

Pilkie

Active Member
#9
stue1972 said:
On another note.
Any idea what colour blue it is??
Its either Zircon or Corsica,hard to tell in the pic as it looks blotchy on the side on trailer pic!
F reg,Should be Zircon if still original!
http://www.ruediger-wicke.de/P6%20produ ... olours.htm

Check everything related to gears before removing the gearbox!
It can be done without removing the engine,but its a bit fiddly as you have to rotate the box about 90deg to remove it!
 
#11
It should be original I think Dave.
its a one owner car from 2 roads down from me.
he died and in the garage it stayed until another local got it, buggered the gearbox.?
He started it and it went bang so he told me.
I bought it cos he then offered it to me and it stopped it being bangered and it is a nice old thing
 

stue1972

Active Member
#12
8866nk said:
It should be original I think Dave.
its a one owner car from 2 roads down from me.
he died and in the garage it stayed until another local got it, buggered the gearbox.?
He started it and it went bang so he told me.
I bought it cos he then offered it to me and it stopped it being bangered and it is a nice old thing
I'm hoping its the clutch went bang not the box,
Bit of a strange one as I can select all the gears with the engine running and release the clutch but nothing happens,
No noises movement or anything :?
 

chrisw

Well-Known Member
#13
stue1972 said:
8866nk said:
It should be original I think Dave.
its a one owner car from 2 roads down from me.
he died and in the garage it stayed until another local got it, buggered the gearbox.?
He started it and it went bang so he told me.
I bought it cos he then offered it to me and it stopped it being bangered and it is a nice old thing
I'm hoping its the clutch went bang not the box,
Bit of a strange one as I can select all the gears with the engine running and release the clutch but nothing happens,
No noises movement or anything :?
That's exactly what I'm getting at the moment with my 64 car, except a very small amount of movement right at the top of the pedal.

If you look underneath whilst pushing the clutch pedal in and out, does the actuating level on the slave cylinder move?
 

stue1972

Active Member
#16
After a little play over the garage tonight have found that no the speedo doesn't work with it running in gear but the hydraulics all do seem to work ok with ample movement on the arm.
However now I have the car up in the air higher a quick look reveals a crack/dent on the bellhousing from the inside out.
So think my job for Saturday is to remove the gearbox and see whats what.
Place your bets, lumps of clutch or gearbox in bellhousing????? :roll: :mrgreen:
 

Attachments

stue1972

Active Member
#17
I removed the gearbox today to inveistigate further the lack of drive and the damage to bellhousing.
Found another problem whilst removing propshaft and that was the fact I could turn it with the wheels on the ground.
fault with the diff I guess, (would a series 2 2200 auto be the same??)

Anyway continued to remove the gearbox and found this in the bottom of the bellhousing.
Any ideas where its from as I cant see anywhere obvious.
 

Attachments

harveyp6

Well-Known Member
#19
stue1972 said:
Found another problem whilst removing propshaft and that was the fact I could turn it with the wheels on the ground.
fault with the diff I guess, (would a series 2 2200 auto be the same??)
That's why I asked if the speedo worked...
 
Top